This week BBC Worldwide announced that, from the 13th to the 15th of November, there will be a spectacular festival of all things Doctor Who at the London ExCel centre.
Peter Capaldi himself will be in attendance, along with current show runner Steven Moffat.
The Festival is designed to offer a glimpse into how the world of Doctor Who has been created. One gets the impression that this will be more than your bog-standard convention, with signings, photo ops, and the like (though they will no doubt be happening, too).
There will be theatre shows where you can meet the people who make the show happen. There will be Interactive Workshops where you can learn the production process as well as the usual shopping opportunities filled to bursting with all the merchandise you need (and, probably, plenty you don’t need but will buy anyway, or is that just me?).
The Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldi, said of the event;
“If having the world’s favourite Time Lord back on screen every week isn’t enough for you (and it’s not for me) then The Doctor Who Festival in London is the place to be. I’ll be heading there in November to join the fun and if it’s anything like the 50th anniversary event, then prepare yourself for total Time Lord mania.”
The website has listed some of the various things that will be taking place over the weekend along with the ticket prices. They are somewhat similar to those that were available for the Official 50th Anniversary Convention back in 2013.
DAY TICKET PRICES
• Standard ticket: £65
• Standard child ticket: £30
• Standard family ticket: £165
• TARDIS ticket: £110
• TARDIS child ticket: £50
• TARDIS family ticket: £285
• THEATRE SHOWS – exclusive access to the writers and cast from the series as they talk about how to make an idea become reality on a series as big and bold as Doctor Who.
• ON SET PHOTO–photo opportunities on one of the current filming sets.
• WARDROBE DEPARTMENT – an exhibition of costumes and props from the series.
• COSPLAYERS SHOWCASE – where fans can showcase their impressive Doctor Who-themed outfits.
• THE FAN CHALLENGE! –Fans young and old can battle it out in the ultimate test of Doctor Who knowledge to be crowned the greatest fan.
• DRAMA SCHOOL – the techniques and secrets that the cast learn when filming Doctor Who.
• OFFICIAL MERCHANDISE – the ultimate fan shopping experience.
• PRODUCTION VILLAGE – a chance for fans to explore a day in the life of the production team and crew.
• PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES – an opportunity for fans to buy an individual photograph with the current cast members appearing.
So, all of that to look forward to! And you can bet that Sci-Fi and Fantasy Network will have reporters down there in person to report on what happens. See you in November!